Friday, May 30, 2008

the lovely vanessa

I love my job.

Several weeks ago I was contacted by an Australian publication, "Good Weekend" to photograph an Australian author living in Durham. Photographers are often sent fake scam inquiries from foreign countries, so I turned to my favorite source - Google. Through my search I was able to discover that not only was the publication completely legit (for us here in the U.S, I think it is very similar to "Parade" that comes in the Sunday paper), but that the subject of the photo shoot sounded totally cool.

She's a writer and a bonobo (which, from what I understand, are much like chimps, but nicer:-) researcher. Every summer she goes and spends several months in the Congo studying these amazing creatures. She's also an author who has published several books, and has another in the works.

And not only was she as cool and interesting as I figured she'd be, she was totally photogenic and one of the most fun people I've ever worked with. And her accent! I'm such a sucker for accents. Maybe she'll let me hop in her suitcase next time she goes home.

You can check out Vanessa's website here:
www.vanessawoods.net



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is beautiful, and sounds like such an interesting person! Congratulations on being selected to photograph her - you did a wonderful job!

Anonymous said...

She's gorgeous and her job sounds so interesting. You've done a great job of capturing her. It's so funny that you like an aussie accent, I always think us aussies sound funny on American tele, even though I don't notice how we sound in everyday life.

Anonymous said...

what an honor! and you did such a great job - congrats to you and her! YEAH!!! she sounds so wonderful and she definitely picked the perfect person to photograph her!! wtg!

Anonymous said...

what interesting work she does! Beautiful images!!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful portraits!

Sherial said...

Beautiful images. Congrats on being selected to photograph her.

Anonymous said...

Very neat!! You did a beautiful job!

Anonymous said...

She sounds so cool, and I totally plan to buy her book.....what an interesting story.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome assignment. Congrats.